Thursday, August 19, 2010

August 19, 2010

Yesterday, Charlie got his wisdom teeth taken out.  Today I went to see him, and be with him because everyone knows it isn't fun to recover from having your teeth cut out of your mouth.  I left the house around 10:00 a.m. and went to the gas station.  Today was going to be a good day, I could feel it.  I went inside and bought a drink, and two York Pepper Mint Patties.  One for the way there and one for the way back.  I put gas in my car, and was on the road.  As I drove down the interstate, getting the radio set, deciding which cars I would be passing and which lane felt better today, I started thinking about everything I have to do, everything I have done, all of my wants and desires, goals and times I've failed.  I started thinking about my blessings and how much God has done for me.  I felt overwhelmed and wanted to tell Him and thank Him.  So immediatley, I turned off the radio, focused on the road (eyes open) and began to pray.  After praying and driving for a while longer my journey was coming to an end I was within 10 miles of Charlie, still on a highway, but close.  I started to think about how we have to choose... Black or White, and not stand in the Gray.  I thought about areas in my life where I could improve and make better choices.  Then I looked at my speedometer.  I have a bad habit of speeding, well, that is what some may call it.  I call it "going the speed I feel is appropriate for whatever road I am on."  I thought to myself "No, I do a lot of good things and I know I am not perfect, this is okay, it isn't a big deal."  A few more minutes of driving down the road, and there he was...  driving the opposite direction.  His completely black "under-cover" State Trooper car with all it's brutal abilities.  I thought for a moment "he wouldn't, he's not going to... no way, he's going the other direction.  He won't even see me."  Could I have been anymore ignorant?  I hit the breaks, hoping, and hoping on my own that he wasn't going to cross the highway.  Wrong again, Jenny.  He clocked me from across the way.  He caught up, driving behind me and I proceeded to pull off the highway.  You can imagine what happened after that, he you've ever gotten a ticket.  I am thankful that he cut me some slack on exactly what he clocked me at, otherwise I would have started crying right infront of him.  I drove the few miles left inbetween me and Charlie, arriving at his house safely. 

Why do I tell you this incredibly dry story about my day?  Because I am so excited that I learned something through trial!  I am so thankful I am given these opportunities to go through hard times so I can grow and see how I will handle the situations.  I tell you this because I am proud of myself, and the way I have handle the days situations! 

I also tell you this because I am amazed at the peace of mind I have right now, and the peace in my heart I have been blessed with. 

When I arrived at Charlie's house, I knocked on the door and Marybeth let me inside.  Marybeth and her Mother told me that Charlie was still asleep.  I decided it would be a good idea to let him sleep a little longer.  I sat down in the living room with both his mother and sister and enjoyed their company for about 30 minutes discussing Charlie's birthday, Chipmunk face (due to swelling from the surgery) and how cute he is when he becomes upset with gos in his mouth.  At that point, the phone rang, a movie wanted to be watched and I decided it was time to wake up Charlie. 

I was a scaredy cat and asked Marybeth to come with me.  We silently walked down the hall, carefully opened his door and slowly approached his bed.  At this point we both started throwing out ideas on how to wake him, but none would do.  I knew I was waking him up with a kiss on the cheek.  After our silent giggles and my fears holding me at bay, I finally had enough nerve to just do it, but an unfortunante event was occuring at the same time I was leaning over to give him a kiss.  He woke up three seconds too soon.  How silly, I will be saving that Good Morning kiss for another day I suppose.

I spent the entire day with Charlie and his family, watching movies, playing battleship, getting on facebook and talking.  I couldn't ask for someone better to spend my time with, and I know he would be there for me if I had my wisdom teeth removed. 

I tell you these things because I can not hold it in anymore.  I never want to forget these days I have here, with Charlie and others who mean so much to me.  This may not be the beginning, but as I go I will fill you in on why these days are so special and dear to my heart, but for now I say goodnight and I hope you understand that this is my present state, this is my breath of air.